want to connect SHT21 humidity sensor to JeeNode

Discussion of Jee Products and Wireless Tech
vbob

want to connect SHT21 humidity sensor to JeeNode

Post by vbob »

I'm hoping to hang an SHT21 Humidity & Temperature Sensor off of a JeeNode - but am a bit confused by description here:
http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/h ... ure-sensor
First paragraph says "communicate directly with the analog pins on the Arduino" and second paragraph "transmits digital data to the Arduino over the I2C protocol"

My hope is that this would be just a slight variant/subset of JeeLab's 'Room Board' with SHT11 - but the conflicting description makes me nervous...

Thanks

Vbob

oz
Site Admin

Re: want to connect SHT21 humidity sensor to JeeNode

Post by oz »

Hi Vbob,

The confusion is just that the I2C pins on the Arduino are in the analog block PortC (PC 4 & 5). Both chips (SHT21 an SHT11) are I2C chips. We have a LDO regulator in the circuit but you could easily bypass that by powering the 3V3 line, and everything would work great anyway.

I ordered the SHT11's for the room board but don't know whether they're in yet. That board is not quite plug and play as it's sold as a kit and you have to decide on some options and solder it all together too. You wouldn't have to wire the header up though.

Hope that helps

Paul

vbob

Re: want to connect SHT21 humidity sensor to JeeNode

Post by vbob »

Paul - I would actually rather use a JeeLabs Room Board minimally populated with a SHT11 - but didn't see it offered in your shop, and having it shipped from across the water seemed excessive, so I was thinking of alternate pieces. If you are going to be selling them at all soon, please let me (us!) know.

As is so often the case, there are two agendas at play:

I have a need to sense & log indoor humidity levels.
I have a borrowed Onset Hobo U10-003 datalogger, which is getting me the data I need this week, but rather than buy another one of my own for $90, I'd rather spend a similar amount of money diving into the JeeWorld...

I'm great at soldering and following kit directions, pretty good at making informed subtle changes, and not much good at designing, but want to get better - so the JeeNode-JeeLink solution seems very attractive.

Thanks

Vbob