Arduino proto board

Requests for new features and products, news about what we are working on.
customer

Arduino proto board

Post by customer »

Paul,

The one thin i have noticed is missing in the Arduino market is a solder type proto board. I have seen them for pic micros but was unable to find anything similar for arduino/avr. Basically something like a RBBB with a prototyping area underneath, all pins pads at the proto side and the already existing flexibility for regulator type and power connection to fit different applications. Maybe add a power/ground bus, that sort of thing.

After soldering up a project i noticed to accomplish the same thing the rbbb does took up a lot of space on perf board before one even gets to the project side of things. Ordering custom one off boards from pcb services is relatively expensive in comparison.

I post this here as opposed to the Arduino forum as i have purchased several RBBBs and chips from you site. I believe you provide quality boards at reasonable prices and to date have had nothing but good experiences with your products and service.

Is this something you might consider?

oz
Site Admin

Re: Arduino proto board

Post by oz »

Yes, I've thought a lot about this - Instead of the shield idea - just give people the Freeduino functionality on a proto board. Send me a rough sketch of scale and size if you want. I should have hopped on this idea a while ago but there's no time like the present. Or I wish I could make some time in the present :)

Paul

customer

Post by customer »

Maby somethin like this;

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f11/p ... oBoard.jpg

Is the resonator setup possiable. It's not as clear in the pic as i had hoped but it goes something like this: The first row is a 3 hole for a ceramic, the second row has 2 holes that connect to the first so if you use a crystal you can add the caps which connect to the third row which connects to ground via the middle hole of the first row. (WOW that was a mouthful . :) )
That way it satisfies both sides of the crystal vs ceramic resonator battle and is more plastic for different applications.

I personally would like to see a break in the connection between the power supply and 7805 so one may add a switch if required or just use a jumper if not.

As for size, something that would fit in an average sized project box/enclosure but large enough if you added some female headers you could make it shield compatible.

As far as hole patterns if any, and actually all of the above, you would know best. I have passed newbee but not by far :D. Additionally i have no idea how much these things affect cost or form.

In any case i look forward to seeing/purchasing the finished product. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

Thanks for the drawing - it's about what I had in mind.

Paul

dufarb

Post by dufarb »

I just wanted to voice my support for board like that. I would love to have the space to put a project on one board.

droops

Post by droops »

Yeah that would be really cool.

customer

Post by customer »

Any updates?

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

Send me some email with an address and I'll put you on the beta test list.

Paul

customer

Post by customer »

Email sent, thanks.

dvnm

Post by dvnm »

Did this ever happen? I am trying to build a project that could benefit from something such as this.

Off topic: I ordered a few arduinos last week and got them right away. I am so thankful for the super fast service you guys provide. Keep up the great work!

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

It hasn't happened yet, but there are lots of ideas in the queue and this is one of them.

Paul

bperrybap

Post by bperrybap »

There is always these boards:
http://www.protostack.com/index.php?mai ... cPath=1_20
--- bill

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

Hadn't seen those. They look like a good deal for all that space.

Paul

bperrybap

Post by bperrybap »

I don't have any yet, but one of the things that I really like is that along the side
of those as well as some of their other prototype boards, is 20 holes for connections.
This is great for hooking up things like 16 pin LCDs and even 20 pin GLCDs.
You could put female headers on the proto board, and plug in the (G)LCD with a male
header to sit over the top of the processor area with the full prototype area still free.

One of the big drawbacks for those wanting "Arduino" shield compatibility is that the i/o pin header
connector holes are not arduino shield compatible.

--- bill

dvnm

Post by dvnm »

Good find! It looks good, but it seems like there is a lot of wasted space in the center of the board.

Have you guys seen the runtime boards from nkc electronics? (http://www.nkcelectronics.com/arduino-r ... rev-b.html) I want something like that, but with more prototype room. It's hard to find stuff that will make everyone happy. :)

bperrybap

Post by bperrybap »

You could always use a teensy board: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/index.html
directly on a protoboard. I use them with header pins and put female headers on the protoboard.
That way I can transfer a breadboard design directly to a protoboard.
Same thing I do with the BBB boards.

--- bill

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

OK - I'm moving the proto board up in the queue. Watch this space for screen shots and solicitation of comments.

dvnm

Post by dvnm »

Paul: You are awesome! Are you thinking full size 328Ps or the smd kind? I would like to vote for the full size ones since it is easier to solder etc... but I guess it wouldn't matter if it is sold pre-made. I think a kit would be great for students.

I was thinking of the following progression:
1. Prebuilt Arduino / BBB and Breadboard
- Allow students to get used to the Arduino language
- Get started with bread boarding and electrical design

2. Build BBB from scratch and create a project on breadboard.
- Give students practice soldering and building a complex circuit (BBB)
- Further practice building circuits on breadboard
- Solder practice
- Seeing how someone else took an idea and built the BBB

3. Once project is tested they can move on to building it on the protoboard with everything integrated in one package.
- Building their own circuits / projects and seeing them "come to life" from bread board
- Take home product ( "I built that" )
- Students will be much more engaged if it is something they care about

This would possibly be a one or two semester course where the students could take a project home with them at the end. This would also help DIYers as they learn to use the Arduino and improve their skills both in learning to program the Arduino and building electronic circuits.

Bill: I have seen the teensy, but had not thought about putting it on a protoboard. Thanks for the idea, but I was thinking of having students and DIYers build the thing from scratch.

dvnm

Post by dvnm »

I've been looking more into this and I found these proto boards from Sparkfun. The problem is they do not have the arduino socket built in. I think we could always add it by hand but I was hoping for a slightly simpler solution where the proto space was reserved for the person's project.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8722

In any case, it's good to see at least some interest in similar projects :)

dvnm

Post by dvnm »

After a long time, I ran into this: The RBBB and Boarduino prototyping shield
http://dev.wickeddevice.com/index.php?m ... ucts_id=87

It is basically a "shield" that the boarduino can plug into and it has a small prototyping area. Not sure if there are pads below the mini bread board, but it's a start. :)

It is also pretty neat in that it allows you to hook up regular arduino shields on top/bottom to make it even more versatile. (although it does cut down on the prototyping area)

How hard would it be to have an RBBB circuit on the top and the proto area on bottom? I lack any skills in making pcbs, but I might have to give it a try.