BUBII - A request for the USB device descriptor failed, 10 work, 5 fail.

Interfacing hardware, sensors, output drivers, chips.
JoeFromOzarks

BUBII - A request for the USB device descriptor failed, 10 work, 5 fail.

Post by JoeFromOzarks »

I have fifteen BUB2's all purchased from Modern Device. 10 fail to connect with the "A request for the USB device descriptor failed" message but the other 5 connect and function perfectly. I have tried the same fifteen on two different WIN10-64 computers with the exact same issue on exactly the same BUB2's, the same 10 fail, the same 5 work. I promise, I haven't touched a drop of booze in a decade. :lol:

Any idea what I can/should do to fix the flaky 10 units? Thank you!!

:) -joe

oz
Site Admin

Re: BUBII - A request for the USB device descriptor failed, 10 work, 5 fail.

Post by oz »

Joe,

Sorry about your experience. It does seem odd indeed. Have you tried the boards on a different computer?
Also read about FTDI drivers. It was kind of mess on macs a while ago although the newer Apple drivers seem to have solved the problem which happened with there were TWO drivers installed. I'm not sure of how it works on Windows.

I could point you to documents but they are all Mac related.

Try a quick google for FTDI driver and your operating system, also have a poke around here:
https://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

If it turns out to be a hardware issue - please email support -t moderndevice.com
or you could give us a call toward the middle of the day and we could try and talk you through some troubleshooting.

Paul

JoeFromOzarks

Post by JoeFromOzarks »

Hello Paul,

I tried all fifteen BUB2's on two different computers and both computers had exactly the same results with the exact same BUB2's, so it's not the computers or drivers. I also tried five different USB cables, all of the cables worked perfectly. 5 of the same BUB2's work perfectly, 10 exact same BUB2's do not.

Odd thing is, at one time all fifteen worked perfectly on the WIN10's, guaranteed.

I will try a WIN7 computer, I know they all worked on the WIN7 perfectly.

Thank you!!

:) joe

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

Joe,

Did you install any of the 3 pin headers? The options can kind of be confusing on that board. If you're using the jumpers, then you need to clear the solder shunts.

The solder shunts should be set in the manner shown in the attached image.

Did you try putting a meter on the pins 1 and 3 and check for a voltage? Should be 5V at default settings.

Also look for a little triple blink when you plug the board in, if you don't see that, it's definitely some hardware issue.

Paul Badger

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

I will try a WIN7 computer, I know they all worked on the WIN7 perfectly.
This kind of seems like kind of smoking gun for driver issues. I do know that at one point we were testing boards on our Windows machine and we had to clean out some registry, when Windows had filled up 200 serial ports or some other array of entries. It was kind of painful process, which one of my techs did at the time, and required a bit of googling. I doubt that is your issue though - UNLESS - you are testing a whole lot of different devices with the board and maybe other FTDI chips.

Paul

JoeFromOzarks

Post by JoeFromOzarks »

Hi Paul,

I installed the latest FTDI drivers on the newly reinstalled WIN7 and I tried one known good BUB2, it recognized and works perfectly as COM3. I tried another known good BUB2 and it works perfectly on COM4. A BUB1 was tried next (not one of the ten known good units) and it installed and is working perfectly as COM5. Life is good. So far.

I then tested BUB2 #1 of the bad five. It returned failed with the "...request for the USB device..." as did the other four BUB2's. After testing the bad five, I connected in a known working BUB2 and it installed perfectly COM6.

All five units:

The 3-Pin headers are installed and the solder pads on the back have never been soldered. None have the 3V regulator installed.

Pins 1 and 3 show 5vdc as they should. All five units blink three times when first connected to the USB cable. All fifteen units show the same current draw (+/- some random amount) at the USB port measured with Fluke benchtop DVM.

I am familiar with the Windows removal of unused devices but I'm afraid this isn't the issue with these five little demons especially after the WIN7 test.

What is the warranty on these BUB2's? If I spend any more time playing with the bad ones, labor alone will have purchased replacements. <grin> And I'm retired!!

Thank you!!

:) joe

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

With BUBI you need to solder the logic line jumper or they will fail. It doesn't matter what your choice is (I would chose 3.3V though for modern compatibility) but you need to have that jumper installed.

I didn't realize you had any BUB I's that you were using. They are definitely not under warranty.

I'm puzzled as to what the issue could be - but we do test them 100% but on Macs. Are these all of recent purchase?
We will replace any that you can't get to work on a couple different machines, as long as they were purchased recently.

Paul

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

I also found a few troubleshooting guides for "USB device descriptor failed" errors but didn't go down that rabbit hole at all.
Are the failed devices showing up in Device Manager under USB devices?

JoeFromOzarks

Post by JoeFromOzarks »

Hello Paul,

The BUB1, discussed above, installed fine and is working perfectly. The BUB1 is not one of the original ten working units which are all BUB2's. (I don't know if the BUB1 "logic line jumper" is soldered or not, I'll have to research what that is and get back to you.) I have four or five BUB1's and (so far) they all work perfectly.

I've been reading about ""USB device descriptor failed"" errors and tried a couple but to no avail. I don't want to be too crazy and cause my ten working units to quit working.

I suspect all of my units are out of warranty but that's not been my primary concern. I know all five of these that have quit working have worked within the past year. I work with static free stuff, wear an static wrist strap, keep strangers away from the goodies, <grin> just trying the odd diagnostics now. Time to reread all of the posts and see if anything is missed.

Thank you,

-joe

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

Quite the puzzle. What does Device Manager say on the "no-shows"?

Paul

JoeFromOzarks

Post by JoeFromOzarks »

001_bub2.jpg
001_bub2.jpg (19.94 KiB) Viewed 13691 times
002_bub2.jpg
003_bub2.jpg
Essentially same results on two WIN10 computers and one WIN7 computer.

Thank you!

-joe

JoeFromOzarks

Post by JoeFromOzarks »

I'll email or call support today and see what to do about three of the weird BUB2's. I gave two to my daughter so she can turn them into earrings - better than tossing them, I reckon.

-joe