Resonator vs. quartz crystal

Questions and Discussion concerning the Bare Bones Board
Kirk

Resonator vs. quartz crystal

Post by Kirk » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:54 pm

Wait! What is this? It looks like two pads on the bottom side will accommodate 2 22pF caps and thus allow one to use a quartz crystal. Is it so?
I discovered this while assembling one of my BBBs. (rev E) Sadly I bought a competitive board for a clock project that needed quartz accuracy.
Is it true that I can install a quartz crystal and caps?
Do I need to change any fuse settings?

Kirk

paul
Site Admin

Re: Resonator vs. quartz crystal

Post by paul » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:56 am

No just put the crystal and caps in and you're done. I actually have crystal kits made up and ready to sell - for about 3 or 4 months now. They have crystals and 3 sm caps - so you can lose or destroy one :)

Now I'll explain why they're not on the site yet. I have this idea called telepathic ware that I'm promoting. People will intuit what they want and just order it without me having to advertise. No seriously - I keep struggling to get my new site up and in the mean time all the new stuff is languishing in Modern Device World Headquarters shipping department (i.e. my basement).

For now, $1.00 at the bottom of the shipping page gets you a crystal kit, with crystal and two sm caps. Be sure to keep it secret though so I can test whether telepathic ware works.

Paul

floresta

Post by floresta » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:47 am

Paul:

Why not take your telepathic ware concept one step further and just send me the stuff that I have been thinking of ordering?

Don

p.s. While you are at it please include a 'round tuit'.

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:37 pm

OK - I'm getting an impression. Let me scatter some tea leaves.

Paul