Multiple BBBs

Questions and Discussion concerning the Bare Bones Board
formerisan

Multiple BBBs

Post by formerisan » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:03 pm

I have been using a BBB Ver.D for a while and it still works.

I am thinking of getting more BBBs & USB-TTL adapters so I may run multiple BBBs under a single PC at the same time.

Would this work with Arduino environment? Would multiple USB-TTL adapters co-exist under a single PC?

If O.K., what's the maximum # of USB-TTL adapters under a single PC?

The PC will be running either W2K or XP Professional.

Thanks for helping.

paul
Site Admin

Re: Multiple BBBs

Post by paul » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:41 pm

formerisan,

Hmm interesting question. Arduino v 17 will support as many virtual USB com ports as FTDI chips (BUBs or Arduinos) you hook up, but I've only tried two, which works fine. The answer should be: as many as you want, but your mileage may vary.

Send me some email at sales@moderndevice.com and I'll plug in four or so and see if they work alright, that might be the max I can get going on my current USB hub.

Paul

formerisan

Post by formerisan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:07 pm

Thanks Paul.

What's the normal power (current) requirement for the BBB?

I am planning to have them connect to a USB1.1 hub which would then connect to the main USB 2.0 USB. Just want to make sure that the 1.1 hub has enough current to give. I believe that each port has a max of 100mA since it is not self-powered.

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:22 pm

I BBB / BUB combo , or Arduino draws about 27mA or so, with nothing else connected.

Paul

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:44 pm

Multiple BUB postscript,

I plugged in three BUBs and boards, and they show up fine and program, as one would expect. The serial port debugging windows are still a little buggy in Arduino v017 though, but one would expect this to get sorted out pretty quickly in next Arduino release.

Paul