A hiss on the Reverbalizer ?

Interfacing hardware, sensors, output drivers, chips.
nicotep

A hiss on the Reverbalizer ?

Post by nicotep »

Having fun with the Reverbalizer, though I notice a background noise and especially a hiss on certain Effects : After i flashed the Eeprom with the provided code, some of the effects are noisier than others.
One of them is a kind of freeze I really enjoy, but the hiss make it barely usable....

Any ideas on how to fix it? Should I first make a preamp or something, of filter the noise afterwards?

oz
Site Admin

Re: A hiss on the Reverbalizer ?

Post by oz »

Hmm,

This is the first I've heard of excess hiss. The little I've played with the board it sounded very clean.
About the best I could do would be to send you a new board to compare, but we would need to solder headers on so I could get the board back if it performs the same way.

Let me do a little research - maybe send email to sales with your name and order # if you have it.

paul

Florendahl

Post by Florendahl »

Did you try recording the hiss? I'd love to hear it.

nicotep

Post by nicotep »

Strange... I had let the board aside for some time. Today i plug everything again and.... No hiss anymore ! Clean. Sorry for the wrong alarm.

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

nicotep,

I'm glad you got it going, but it is always a bit unsatisfying when things start working without a purposeful change. Did you change power sources? It's always worthwhile powering audio projects on batteries and linear regulators as an experiment to rule out power supply noise if it might be an issue. Maybe bad cable or headphones too?

Paul

Foxbat_25BM

Post by Foxbat_25BM »

I'm more wondering about a bug in programming.
It could be a parts issue - with a pcb board there's not a high chance for poor solder joints (but anything could happen).

If you can reproduce the problem or figure it out I'd like to know

Paul

Foxbat_25BM

Post by Foxbat_25BM »

Wait, it looks like there was a problem; that's an admin message, not mine; did I make an error when posting? I was saying that I had a similar hiss and it disappeared after applying Neanderthal tactics (read: I shaked the Reverbalizer). I don't think it's a solder point issue either, could it simply have been that it wasn't correctly plugged in? (as in, the plug was a little loose in its socket)
I had similar issues with headphones, amps and other sound-related items, after all.

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

Foxbat_25BM,

You might look at your power supply, and see how clean that is.
You might also read about ground loops.

Foxbat_25BM

Post by Foxbat_25BM »

Thanks for the answer! I checked, and yes, there was, in fact, some corrosion inside of the power inlet (I was abroad for a couple months, and it can get pretty damp where I live). I'll see whether it's possible to clean it off and will look into ground loops.