Sketch not uploading even though arduino says it did

Discussion of Jee Products and Wireless Tech
PC_GURU

Post by PC_GURU »

I am having a weird problem with uploading a sketch to a jeenode. I successfully sent packets from one jeenode to the other using the demo sketch that came preloaded on the chip.

However when I try to upload a simple sketch Arduino-0017 gives me the "Done uploading" message without the LEDs blinking on the USB-BUB. And when I open the serial monitor I get help text from the preloaded demo. So obviously the sketch isn't being uploaded.

I tried Arduino-0022 as well and it gives slightly different behavior. It starts uploading and then appears to stop (without errors or hanging) not giving the "done uploading" message.

I think it's either a problem with the USB-BUB or Arduino. The jeenodes appear to be working fine. I have tried both with the same results.

oz
Site Admin

Re: Sketch not uploading even though arduino says it did

Post by oz »

PC_GURU,

This is a new behavior for me. I'm never seen the Arduino IDE report successfully uploading while not doing so - but I believe anything can happen with computers under some circumstances

Write back with as much data as you can.

Are you using Duemilanove choice in boards menu instead of Optiboot? Maybe try switching - we've been making some Optiboot chips lately so it's always possible that one got mixed up.

Serial port confirmed by plugging and unplugging cable while checking the Tools->Serial Port setting?

BUB or BUB II?

Paul

PC_GURU

Post by PC_GURU »

Ok after scrolling up in Arduino-0017 I found an error "avrdude: Can't find programmer id "null"". Any ideas on what's going on?

Yes I am using the Duemilanove board choice and BUB II with PC running Win7 64bit.

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

Did you install the FTDI drivers? Do you see a COM port appear / dissapear when plugging / unplugging cable? (Tools ->Serial Port)

If you haven't programmed the logic level jumpers on BUB II solder up the VL jumper and also the 3.3V jumper on the back and let me know if that works. It turns out that although the FT232RL chip works fine with the logic level unprogrammed, it's a little unstable, and needs to be programmed for the most stable operation.

We're doing this now by default.

Paul

PC_GURU

Post by PC_GURU »

Yes, I can see the COM port appearing and disappearing when plugging/unplugging the cable.
I have updated my FTDI driver and programed the jumpers on the USB-BUB like you said to no avail.

FYI I just uninstalled WinAVR. Now Arduino no longer gives me the "done uploading" message. I think Arduino was using the AVRDude that was installed with WinAVR.

I now get this error in Arduino-0022:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.getProgrammerCommands(AvrdudeUploader.java:106)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:68)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1603)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1568)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1524)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2293)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

I now get this error in Arduino-0022:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.getProgrammerCommands(AvrdudeUploader.java:106)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:68)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1603)
This means you have to update your Java to the latest version - I think.
It might be worth a quick google on the Arduino site to see what the latest recommended version is for windows.

Here's the same symptom-but I think the cause is different

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 1276641143

Paul

PC_GURU

Post by PC_GURU »

Just so you know....I got this issue resolved.
The problem was not with java. My java runtime was up to date. What I did was close Arduino, deleted the preferences.txt file, opened Arduino, problem gone!

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

PC_Guru,

It's the first time I've seen a corrupt Arduino preferences file, but it seems easy to believe that this might result in some strange behavior. Weird glitch huh? I'm glad you got it resolved and posted it for the next person who is pulling out their hair trying to get to the bottom of this problem.

Paul

JeffreyKip

Post by JeffreyKip »

I just got on smite play the new update but when I log in it said I did not accept eula so please do something so I can be able to play smite again.

Aaronhycle

Post by Aaronhycle »

if u dont eat u can go wothout food for a long time but once you eat you feeli like eating more :?

Dudemhccv

Post by Dudemhccv »

if u dont eat u can go wothout food for a long time but once you eat you feeli like eating more :?