Wind Speed sensor - low speeds

Questions about Modern Device and JeeLabs Sensors
donalg

Wind Speed sensor - low speeds

Post by donalg »

Hi All,

In my application, I am looking to measure wind speed in a working/office environment. The expected wind speed is within the range of 0.1m/s to 1.0m/s.
Will this sensor be able to pick these speeds reliably?

oz
Site Admin

Re: Wind Speed sensor - low speeds

Post by oz »

donalg,

"It depends" - which I'm sure is not the answer you want. The sensors are exquisitely sensitive to low wind speeds. However the response varies greatly by the direction of the wind. Also it might be necessary to tweak the zero wind point up a tad, to make sure you don't miss the low end response. This is pretty easy to do by covering the sensor with something like a glass (sealing as best you can) and then waiting for the sensor to settle at it's lowest value. Record this, but then set the zero wind voltage in the sensor, just a little bit higher than the actual reading (around .15 volts should work).

Hope that helps,
feel free to call the shop is you need help being talked through this,

Paul

Ribber

Post by Ribber »

donalg wrote:Hi All,

In my application, I am looking to measure wind speed in a working/office environment. The expected wind speed is within the range of 0.1m/s to 1.0m/s.
Will this sensor be able to pick these speeds reliably?
How did you test at low speeds go donalg?

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

Ribber,

We tested the sensor in a wind tunnel we built. We had to include baffles to increase the pressure and decrease the speed for the lowest settings. We are not overly confident about our low speed data but it does sysch up with walking speed and tests we've done.

It is also very easy to sense the difference between a sensor that is covered by a large glass, and one that is open to ambient air in a room with air movement. No heaters or forced air heating. etc

Michaelchase

Wind Speed sensor low speeds

Post by Michaelchase »

Hi list,
how accurate is the Lux reading obtained with the Lux-Sensor in Open Signals?
Best
Alex