Wind Sensor

Questions about Modern Device and JeeLabs Sensors
RJE

Wind Sensor

Post by RJE »

Greetings

Would anyone now the span of this unit is. From what I have found out self heated thermistors are good at low air flow rates only.

Thanks

Randy

oz
Site Admin

Re: Wind Sensor

Post by oz »

Randy,

It will top out at around 60-70 mph when running on 5 volts. Running on 9 volts though will probably provide sensing into hurricane force winds. If the voltage is higher the sensor has more power to provide to heat the sensor. The output is approximately proportionate to the square root of wind speed.

That said, the sensor still has lots of flaws. The largest one is that the sensor is pretty sensitive to ambient temperatures. Another is the output varies by aound 15% depending on the direction from which it is sensing airflow (in relationship to the thermistor). So it's a pretty rough intstrument.

Paul

RJE

Post by RJE »

Hello Paul

Not really going to use them for wind speed more like air flow. Made acrylic boxes to hold my triple/double rads for my water cooled gaming rig. So ambient will only be up and down by a few degrees and I'm gathering ambient temp data also so I could factor that in too. They would also be in fixed location so air flow will always be the same direction over the sensors.

I like playing games but have more fun in controlling the cooling system and gathering all the data from it. Will get some on order.

Thanks

RJE

Post by RJE »

Paul

Any chance we can get the thermistors with radial leads? That way I could build a round probe that would fit into an single air duct hole.

Thanks

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I am wanting to use this wind sensor to make 200-m deep atmospheric soundings from a tethered balloon. Before ordering the sensor I would like to know if there is a new version coming out soon.

It appears that the current version has to be calibrated for different ambient temperatures. That wouldn't work in my application, as the balloon would encounter different temperatures as it ascends through nighttime temperature inversions. Have you thought of developing temperature compensation circuitry for this device? I wonder how sensitive the device is to changes in ambient temperature. Would a change of 10°C adversely affect the wind speed measurements?

-Dave