BBB Uploading Problem

Problems uploading, serial connections, BUBs, P4, FTDI cables, etc
TimW

BBB Uploading Problem

Post by TimW » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:56 am

Hi,
When I try to upload a sketch to my BBB with a BUB, I am having the infamous upload error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I've gone through all the posts I've found on the forum on this issue, and tried the trouble shooting techniques described. I'm pretty sure I was able to upload a sketch at least once after I built the board, but I don't remember what the sketch did. Also, I have an Arduino duemilanove that works fine, as well as a BBB that I built a year or so ago that works well with the BUB, so I know the BUB is not bad.

Power light is on. I've checked all of the solder joints on the board, they look good. I've got the duemilanove bootloader on there, based on a single flash from a LED hooked up to pin 13 at reset. The reset pin seems to be pulled up, at least on the button side of the capacitor (my meter is not the highest end).

I've messed around with this for a while, and have run out of things to try... Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim

paul
Site Admin

Re: BBB Uploading Problem

Post by paul » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Tim,

Try reheating all the pins on the programming header - cap next to it, pins 1 & 2 on the chip.
Try the optiboot ("UNO") option - we've been using them in other projects and one may have gotten mixed in. We may go to all optiboot in August so it will be easier to keep track of which chips are which.

Try swapping the chip from the other BBB if it's accessible and see if that works in your new board. If it does then something's fishy with the chip.

Paul

TimW

Post by TimW » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Paul,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I reheated the pins.. No difference.
I switched the chips between my good board and the bad. I was able to upload to the chip. When I put that chip back in the bad board, the sketch worked as expected. I put in a println statement as well, and the bad board is able to communicate serially.

As for the UNO option, I am assuming you meant set the board in the Arduino program to UNO (Tools->Board->Arduino UNO). I did this, but it didn't fix the problem. the only difference I noticed was the line in the error message read:

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x00

the difference being in the last bit: "resp=0x00" instead of "resp=0x51"

So, it seems the problem is with the board, not the chip. Maybe I fried something when I was making it. I'd welcome any other suggestions, but I guess if worse comes to worst, I can put the chip in a different board and upload sketches that way.

Tim

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:19 am

Tim,

It could also be the BUB, have you looked that over? Do have the red (original) or BUBII model. If you have the red model and your logic level pin is floating - this can cause problems. I suggest either installing the shunt or hardwiring the 3.3V logic level (the most flexible).

Also "beep" out the continuity (assuming your meter have continuity beeper - otherwise just check for low resistance) between all the header pins and their connections on the board.

If worse comes to worse - package it up and send it back with $5 and we'll fix it and send it back to you.

Paul

TimW

Post by TimW » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:22 pm

Paul,

I've been out of town, but I've had a chance to look at what you've suggested.

I've got the red BUB, but I already had the shunt installed, and set to 5 V. I tried it set to 3.3 V, but no change.

I've checked all of the connections between the header and the board. They all seem good.

Maybe it's time to let an expert take a look... All I know, is I am stumped.

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:20 am

OK send it back

Paul

RomanceOsborn

Post by RomanceOsborn » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:54 am