Uploading to AVR with USB-BUB

Interfacing hardware, sensors, output drivers, chips.
gregf

Uploading to AVR with USB-BUB

Post by gregf »

Hello,
I just got my USB-BUB and have been enjoying using so far. It seems that it can also be used to upload arduino sketches to an avr with the bootloader on it too, and this sounds useful. I haven't had luck getting this working though.

I have an atmega328p on a breadboard connected to the usb-bub (RTR to reset through a 0.1uF capacitor, RX to TXD and TX to RXD through a 10K resistor, and 5V and GND to the rails). Also I have an ICSP header in the board connected to MISO, MOSI, RESET, etc. I'm able to upload the bootloader fine using an AVRISP mkii seemingly, then I disconnect the icsp cable and try to upload my sketch from the arduino IDE (On Mac OS X 10.6) but I get the following error:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

With this setup I am, however, able to communicate with the AVR over UART just fine (using a program uploaded with AVR studio).

Any ideas on what I could try to get this working?

cheers,
Greg

floresta

Re: Uploading to AVR with USB-BUB

Post by floresta »

Any ideas on what I could try to get this working?
When you uploaded the bootloader via the ICSP header did you deal with the appropriate fuse(s) as well?

Don

gregf

Post by gregf »

Which fuse settings are you referring to? I used the arduino IDE to upload the bootloader with the AVRISP mkII option, and AFAIK that process sets some fuses. But I don't know what fuses need to be set so I'm not sure what to look for.

cheers,
Greg

floresta

Post by floresta »

But I don't know what fuses need to be set so I'm not sure what to look for.
I was afraid you were going to say that. I'm not sure either - but you can use Studio 4 and your AVRISP to find out your current fuse configuration and then do some research to find out if it is correct. Without the correct configuration the processor will not run the bootloader code after a reset and therefore the IDE will not be able to communicate with the bootloader.

Don