pin compatible replacement for STP16C596?

scottInNH

pin compatible replacement for STP16C596?

Post by scottInNH »

Hello,

Does anyone know of a pin compatible replacement for the STP16C596 which is specified for this project?

If not, next best suggestion is what?

I ordered the 8x8 LED board PCB only, and not checking the project's BOM first is my fault. I will learn *grin*.

thanks,
Scott

oz
Site Admin

Re: pin compatible replacement for STP16C596?

Post by oz »

Scott,

We're using the A6279EA right now. There may be other chips out there that are pin compatible.
Search for Serial LED drivers 16 bit.

I know I've seen some other chips with similar pinouts.

Paul

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

Scott,

This looks to be about the same chip

MAX6971ANG too. It's a Maxim chip - but kind of inexplicably expensive. It seems that the 16bit chips have gone out of style but there are plenty of 8 bit chips in stock still - Just more inexplicable stuff about the electronics biz.

All the newer chips are surface mount I'm sure.

We'll sell you some chips if you want - I was thinking we should put them up in the store anyway.

Paul

scottInNH

Post by scottInNH »

Hi Paul,

OK thanks for the info. Yes it might be good to offer them direct, or at least put a note on the 8x8 board that the DIY sourcing may be difficult. I'll take you up on that later and shoot you an email if it's not an order option... I have a few projects to finish first before I aim to build this.

I've also bookmarked the TI TLC59282 which is a new 16 bit constant current shifter. It's not DIP, but still large enough to solder. It is also seemingly non-hobbyist, requiring 1k+ orders at some vendors... although TI generously offers it as a sample, and I might request a few! :-)

My impression from Google agrees.. 16 bit shifters seem to have gone the way of the dodo (except for the new TI). Must be the recession.

madbeing

Post by madbeing »

Hi Paul,

Its been a while since I've posted. I've found another chip that is pin compatible that works. Its the CAT4016 by ON Semiconductor. DigiKey has them at $2.03 quantity 1 lots. The issue is that they only sold the DIP version for a limited time. Now there is a 300mil SOIC version 'CAT4016W-T1' but then you have the added cost of a SOIC -> DIP converter plus the fun of soldering a surface mount package. Could you consider using a surface mount chip in a new version of the board? That would at least remove the additional cost of the converters. If you pre-mounted the chips I'd vote for the TQFN form. Its the lowest cost at $1.16 from mouser quant 1.

One other thing I had been kicking around is the idea of using a pwm capable led driver chip. Both TI and Allegro have versions available and I'm sure there are others. The A6281 is nice for a single RGB led. Maybe a new board based on one of these chips would be an interesting addition to your store? You'd have to pre-mount the a6281's though. Those things are tiny..

Just stirring things up a bit as it were.. I do agree that the chip producers seem to be changing things rapidly. It would be nice if they could settle on some standard function designs for driving leds. They have sort of done that with these chips but the form factor seems to be changing rather quickly. Probably driven more by automotive and display manufacturing at this point.

Dan

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

Dan,

Thanks for the great research. The 8x8 board is crying out for a respin with sm components. There are a few good chips that would work, thanks for your addition.

I might have the last stock of A6279 chips in North America. In the shop at http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/1 ... led-driver.

Paul

scottInNH

Post by scottInNH »

I just ordered my chips today.. hope you still have them in stock. :-)

If not, thanks for the update Dan.

Also - the Macroblock MBI5026 is supposed to be a drop in replacement for the STP16C96.
(credit: http://www.evilmadscientist.com/forum/v ... topic=1665 )
Cost is under $1 in plastic DIP...