Power Jack installation problem

Questions about the Really Bare Bones Board
Hankus

Power Jack installation problem

Post by Hankus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:10 pm

I recently purchased 5 RBBB PCB's only and have encountered a problem. Either my 2.1mm power jacks have too large a terminnal or the thru holes provided were drilled too small. Each of the three terminals on my power jacks have a small hole at their tips. In order to get these terminals to fit the holes provided I had to grind the terminal width to the point where each of these tiny holes were ground away or lost. I've used these same 2.1mm power jacks on numerous other projects without issue and they are identical to similar jacks found on all the other project boards/kits that I have purchased and build. I thought about drilling the holes larger but was unsure what that would have done to the thru plating present. Since I have 4 more PCB's with the same upcoming problem what should I do? Is the 2.1mm power jack used sourced from a known supplier and if so who?

Hankus

Re: Power Jack installation problem

Post by Hankus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:27 am

Well I think I answered my own question by reading about the parts available from the moderndevice.com store. Anyone know the supplier of these should I wish to purchase in large quantities? I prefer this choice of design over the more common available jacks found on eBay for example.

paul
Site Admin

Re: Power Jack installation problem

Post by paul » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:23 am

Hankus,

The 2.1mm power jacks with 1mm pins are also available at Digikey, if you want to buy them there. CP-102A-ND
They're in our shop though, as you say. Email us for larger qts.

Paul