Is this all I need to start?

Questions about the Really Bare Bones Board
Severian

Is this all I need to start?

Post by Severian » Thu May 22, 2008 6:51 pm

Howdy,
I hope this does not seem like too basic a question, but I have been over your website and I have not quite figured it out. I played with a Basic stamp a fair amount about 15 years ago, but I am mostly a software guy. I want to try the arduino out on a couple of simple projects to start. I want to do some stuff like turning some LEDs on and off and reading a DS1820 temperature probe, and reading button presses. These are all some prerequisites to some later things I want to make.
I have some old breadboards already. I think if I buy your package with "2 Assembled RBBB's and one FTDI cable", that will give me enough to start. I have some LEDs and resisters, and a couple of power adapters. Is there anything else I would have to have to start? I think from another page on your website that the FTDI cable will go from a USB port on one of my Linux computers to the plug on the RBBB. Is that right?
Thank you for your time. Your 8x8 LED board looks interesting. I am not confident I could assemble it, but I may be back for that after I get the basics going. I tried assembling an Arduino board last year at Maker Faire in Austin and the board has not worked. That is why I am not so confident about the LED board. I plan to just leave whatever circuits I build on breadboards for a while.
Good day,

paul
Site Admin

Re: Is this all I need to start?

Post by paul » Thu May 22, 2008 9:49 pm

Severian
I think from another page on your website that the FTDI cable will go from a USB port on one of my Linux computers to the plug on the RBBB. Is that right?
You are correct about this. The cable and an assembled RBBB will get you programming almost instantly. (After you get the drivers installed - figure on from 5 minutes to two weeks for that (just kidding). You do need a breadboard too, but I figure you probably have one.

Write a few programs and then try the LED 8x8 if you want a challenge, the soldering is not particularly hard, there's just a lot of it. Get a good soldering iron, your music of choice and your beverage of choice and wile away a rainy afternoon. And if your significant other has any percentage of geek blood they'll be really impressed when your first message scrolls across it.

Paul