possible bootloader problem?

Questions about the Really Bare Bones Board
beverageexpert

possible bootloader problem?

Post by beverageexpert » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:10 pm

so I received another rbbb and was trying to program it without the right angle header pins soldered. One of the rbbbs worked fine this way and I got the led to blink. On the other one I had problems trying to get it to load the program. I thought it was just the connection as it was real difficult to get it to connect. I had to hold it at all these different angles etc. I figured I just had some problem connecting this one so I soldered on the right angle pins. I am now still getting the same errors.
avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64
avrdude: failed to write flash memory, rc=4
avrdude: stk500_disabled(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I reinstalled usb drivers, used arduino 17 and 16, set rts to close, nothing works

when I connect it i hear the usb connect sounds and when i hit upload it blinks the led on pin 13 3 times and the light on the usb bub above the logic lvl blinks a few times then nothing

i am using xp sp3
usb bub
rbbb rev b

Ive cleaned the board with alcohol reheated all the joints.

Im at a loss with this chip.
What makes me think its the chip is that when I swap chips it works just like it should.

Did I kill my chip somehow by trying to connect to the bub without soldered right angle pin?
If that is the case can it be fixed?
I didnt see that you sold just the chip, if you do can I just buy another one and then later just buy or make a programmer and fix my chip?

sorry for the convoluted message. I have been searching forums on that error and it seems it might just be the bootloader. How could I have killed it? Static electricity? I would just really like to know so I never do whatever I did again.
thanks

paul
Site Admin

Re: possible bootloader problem?

Post by paul » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:40 pm

beverageexpert,

Check to make sure they're both 328 chips - I guess it's possible that an older 168 sneaked into the wrong box.

Did I kill my chip somehow by trying to connect to the bub without soldered right angle pin?
Unlikely - but it is possible to corrupt the bootloader with enough noise and luck.
If that is the case can it be fixed?
I didnt see that you sold just the chip, if you do can I just buy another one and then later just buy or make a programmer and fix my chip?
Yes the chip could be reburned, if it isn't damaged. New chips (w bootloaders) are on the index page. If you send the old one back I'll reburn it and test it and send it along with the new chip. Just let me know it's on its way, if you go that route.
Paul

beverageexpert

Post by beverageexpert » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:19 am

I really appreciate your quick response. I was thinking of getting a programmer anyway so I was hesitant of sending my chip back. I don't think that will be happening anytime soon though as adafruit has the one I want back ordered. So I came across the bitbang technique http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimi ... ex_en.html. Is this possible to do with the bub? I dont know what the x3 pins do but isn't this the same ftdi chip that I have on my duemilanove and that is on the bub? I sure hope this is possible. Well thanks for providing such a good product and customer service. If the bub thing doesn't work out ill send my chip back early next week and ill be buying another rbbb and chip on friday. Ill let you know what I end up doing.
thanks again

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:32 am

Is this possible to do with the bub? I dont know what the x3 pins do but isn't this the same ftdi chip that I have on my duemilanove and that is on the bub?
Yes it's the same chip - the website doesn't provide a schematic, but if the outputs are all available then you could do this. You can do it anyway if you want to solder on some really tiny wires. (fairly challenging I'd say) Another customer had mentioned this and I had looked at it earlier. It's possible I could provide another version of the BUB all setup to to do this, but would require a bigger board I think. One possibility would be to use the BUB's auxiliary output jack for assembling the signals, which would be convenient.

The customer never wrote back though, so don't know if the experiment was successful.

Let me know your results, I'm intrigued.

Paul

beverageexpert

Post by beverageexpert » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:29 pm

Seems the pins are set up this way
x3 pin 1 = cts
x3 pin 2 = dsr
x3 pin 3 = dcd
x3 pin 4 = ri

so if I solder pins to the bub in this configuration and hook it up to my duemilanove icsp pins I should be able to do this right? I don't want to destroy my bub. I am going to research it a bit more before I try it. Let me know what you think. Ill let you know how the experiment goes.

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:41 pm

The signals seem to be there as you say - I wouldn't hesitate to proceed, but I'd also keep everything at 5 volts for a start.

The software is another issue, you're kind of a pioneer on this. Unfortunately I've got some other development projects that are on the front burner, but I'm very interested to see how this works out, and how hard it is.

It seems that AVRdude has to be recompiled for bit-bang mode - but maybe not - as I just scanned the docs enough to see the required signals. So far, so good I say. I'll be happy to send you another BUB if you toast yours, the prudent thing might be to connect the signal pins to the header with 1 or 2 K resistors for current limiting.

Paul

beverageexpert

Post by beverageexpert » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:59 am

Well I wasnt able to connect the bub. i was able to hook it up through my duemilanove but to no avail. My chip is still giving me issues. Good news is all my components are still working. my duemilanove bub etc. I wired the male pins on my bub and hooked it up all proper but the software wouldnt connect. I tried multiple configurations but nothing worked until I hooked it up straight with the x3 pins on my duemilanove. I was thinking there was some power issue using the bub so I hooked up my wall wart while I attempted to reburn it. I tried using the arduino ide and the avrgui that he recommended but nothing happened with the bub. I am sure you are right as it is just a software issue. I am still new at all this electronic stuff. Well I'll be sending this chip back early next week and will be buying another rbbb next friday. Thanks for all your help

xozip_neutron

Post by xozip_neutron » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:45 am

hi sir Paul,

I'm a newbie with arduino from Philippines...
I have a diecimila board w/ atmega168 chip...
a have the save problem with beverageexpert, If it is okay with you I would like to ask about your finding on his chip... if its bootloader is just corrupt or the chip is ruined...

sir your reply will be a big help and will be well appreciated...
thank you...

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:52 am

xozip_neutron,

You might get the award for the best forum name, that's wonderful.

You could have a misprogrammed, a corrupt bootloade, or a dead chip. As I think you said your chip is from a Deicimila and has worked in the past, you have either a corrupt bootloader or dead chip I believe.

If you want to send us in your chip with a self addressed stamped envelope we'll try and reburn it. You might also consider picking up a spare.

pb