Assembled USB BUBs

Questions about the Really Bare Bones Board
Severian

Assembled USB BUBs

Post by Severian » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:35 am

Howdy,
I am mostly a software guy. I want to learn about these embedded devices and make a thing or two. But, for now, I am sticking with what I can screw together or connect on a breadboard. I want to but a few more controllers like the RBBB(or maybe an iDuino). It seems to me that the USB BUBs are all in kit form. Is this true, or are they available assembled? If they are in kit form, I think my only option for the RBBB is to find a FTDI cable somewhere. I bought one here last year, but I have misplaced it in the months it took me to round up all the other parts. For now, I am using a MaxSerial from Spiffie, although I'd really prefer something that snaps into the breadboard.
Good day,

Severian

Re: Assembled USB BUBs

Post by Severian » Wed May 13, 2009 2:58 am

Howdy,
First a bit that is off-topic. On another forum post, I mentioned having a BBB that I could never get running. I got it back and looked it over carefully, with the instructions. I realized today that I was missing a jumper. The instructions say "Put the USB / EXT shorting clip". That never made any sense before, until I realized what you meant today. It helped that I had a multimeter now and was checking voltages in places.

Anyway, my BBB is a rev C and I think it works fine now. I installed the resistor and LED on pin 13 and it flashes, so I think it is working. Now, I just need to be able to program it and that leads to this question. You offer a combo pack of "2 Assembled RBBB's and one FTDI cable". Then you say you don't offer the FTDI cable, and the BUB is less expensive. So, is there a $55 package with 2 assembled RBBBs and a BUB now(or something similar). The normal BUB comes almost assembled, I think. If there is one in an assembled package, is the header installed so I can snap it together and program? Now that my BBB is working, I am not completely against soldering that connector on, but it will delay me. I don't have a soldering iron or a good place setup to do it. This is not a killer, but I'd like to know ahead of time.
The RBBB page mentions improvements like the pilot light and reset capacitor. Are these on the assembled units now? Are the 6 pin layouts of the connector on the BBB, rev C and the current RBBB compatible? The RBBB mentions RTS on a pin that I don't see mentioned on the BBB manual. Will the same FTDI cable or USB BUB work on both?
I am thinking I'll order whatever package you have with the RBBB and a programmer and add the 1 amp regulators and specify the 1.3 MM power plug. I have a couple of old Compaq regulated power supplies with 1.3 mm plugs that work fine on the BBB.
Have a good day and thank you for your time,
Ralph

paul
Site Admin

Re: Assembled USB BUBs

Post by paul » Wed May 13, 2009 8:16 am

Ralph,

Just put a note in your order that you want the header of the BUB soldered on, and I'll ship it that way. I hope not too many others read this. I guess I need to offer that as an option, since at least a few people don't like to solder.

Re: 2 assembled RBBB & FTDI - I need to change that right now - price is $5 lower w BUB.
We're not really stocking cables anymore.

We can build you the RBBB's w 1.3mm jacks - it will just take a few days

The BUB will work fine with both BBB & RBBB, and power both boards from the computer too.

Hope that gets it,
maybe just email me if you have specific questions on the order.

Paul