How To Access USB

CozMoz5000

How To Access USB

Post by CozMoz5000 »

I just bought the Freeduino Host Board and I am trying to Write an App to get the Temp from a Temp Probe through the other USB port on the board. Does anyone know how to access the other USB port?

oz
Site Admin

Re: How To Access USB

Post by oz »

CozMoz5000,

I'm slightly confused on what you're trying to do - Host a USB sensor? instead of a phone?
Give me some more details please.

Paul

CozMoz5000

Post by CozMoz5000 »

There is a Mini USB port on the Host board and there is a regular USB port. I am trying to plug an Android Phone into the board through the regular USB port and then plug a Sensor into the mini USB port and read data off of it.
Can you help me?
Or do you need more Data?

noahj

Post by noahj »

CozMoz5000 wrote:There is a Mini USB port on the Host board and there is a regular USB port. I am trying to plug an Android Phone into the board through the regular USB port and then plug a Sensor into the mini USB port and read data off of it.
Can you help me?
Or do you need more Data?
You'll want to plug the sensor into the analog pins on the Freeduino Host Board (assuming it's an analog sensor) and have an app that reads the analog sensor value on the phone.

-\n

CozMoz5000

Post by CozMoz5000 »

The Sensor is a USB Connected Sensor.
Is there anyway to access the Mini-USB port and the USB ports for data, and if so, how do I do it?

Specs:
http://www.vernier.com/products/sensors ... s/go-temp/

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

There may be a way to do what you want to do but we haven't done it. It's definitely the harder road to go.
What you're asking is to use the FHB as a USB slave instead of USB host. Google wrote the (phone as slave) functionality into the latest OS because they thought it was going to be a more elegant solution and ultimately more secure and reliable solution.

Using the phone as host is also going to make programming the board with the Arduino IDE harder, because you will be uploading sketches to the FHB and removing the cable and retrying your app, without much feedback.

Google around for "Android USB Host" and "USB OTG" see what you find, some people have made this work but there was some hacking involved.

Paul