Waterproofing Wind Sensor Rev. P

Questions about Modern Device and JeeLabs Sensors
Matteo

Waterproofing Wind Sensor Rev. P

Post by Matteo »

Hi, I need to measure wind speed on a small sail boat using the Wind Sensor Rev. P.
The problem is that the boat can tip and the sensor can end up in the water for some time.
I was wondering if it is possible to make the sensor waterproof. My plan is to use Silicone Modified Conformal Coating by MG Chemicals on the whole board but I don't know if this can compromise the correct working of the sensor.

oz
Site Admin

Re: Waterproofing Wind Sensor Rev. P

Post by oz »

Matteo,

The Rev P is fairly directional - so not a perfect wind sensor unless you put it on a rotating vane. Values fall off pretty dramatically from the backside of the sensor (the board side) with readings being 50% or less.
As far as waterproofing, we have poured epoxy over the circuit board with success. The sensor (hot thermistor) itself can be sprayed with a thinner coating of polyurethane or other waterproof coating. It might need to be rewaterproofed at regular intervals and a certain point will degrade readings somewhat.

Paul Badger

Matteo

Re: Waterproofing Wind Sensor Rev. P

Post by Matteo »

Thank you so much Paul, I've also found a pdf which explains the relationship beetween wind direction and value measured by the sensor. As you said the sensor is not very suitable for my application. I have to think for a solution.
Thanks also for the waterproofing advices.

Matteo