Wind sensor Rev. P - Voltage dropping, Standby, Overheated?

Questions about Modern Device and JeeLabs Sensors
ulrich223

Wind sensor Rev. P - Voltage dropping, Standby, Overheated?

Post by ulrich223 »

I have the wind sensor Rev. P on an Arduino MKR GSM 1400 with a 12V power supply. The sensor delivers the right values for a certain time and then the voltage drops to zero. This happens irregulary after 5 minutes or 1-2 days. The sensor is supposed to run 24/7.

I have the same code as provided in the example files

windADunits = analogRead(OutPin);

The windADunits value is normally around 450 to 500 when there is no wind. Then it suddenly drops to between 0 to 10, the sensor seems to be in a standby state but actually does not deliver values above 450 when there is wind again.

I use the sensor to see if the air ventilation system is running or not. It is scheduled 10 hours a day, so the sensor does not get wind for most of the time, so another theory would be that it overheats and shuts off.

Unplugging the Arduino and sensor seems to reset the system and wind values are measured normally again.

Interestingly the temperature values are measured even when windADunits are in error (0-10).

Did anybody encounter the same issues? Could it be that the sensor is broken? Or am I not aware of a hidden feature?

Any help greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

oz
Site Admin

Re: Wind sensor Rev. P - Voltage dropping, Standby, Overheated?

Post by oz »

ulrich223,

Unfortunately we have seen this before. This is a result of component tolerances that are too close to an edge case where the sensor doesn't function. We are in the process of addressing this but in the meantime, email the shop and we'll replace your sensor.

What happens is that in some temperature conditions, the voltage at the op amp inputs are inverted so the sensor is not turned on the way it should be. The temp sensor is completely different and would not affect the wind output.

ulrich223

Re: Wind sensor Rev. P - Voltage dropping, Standby, Overheated?

Post by ulrich223 »

Thank you very much for your quick response!