jeelabs AA power board

Discussion of Jee Products and Wireless Tech
sawmac

jeelabs AA power board

Post by sawmac »

I purchased some jeenodes and power boards and am wondering how to connect the AA board. The jeenodes came with extra long header pins for the 4 ports--those fit the AA board perfectly. Can I just slip the AA board onto those pins and solder them together?

On the jeelabs site he recommends something different to piggy back the AA board and the jeenode: http://jeelabs.org/2010/09/18/aa-mounting-options/
But since the long pins are already there, I'd prefer to use them. If that won't work, should I cut the long pins before soldering on another connection?

thanks

--dave

oz
Site Admin

Re: jeelabs AA power board

Post by oz »

Dave,

I personally like the back to back option. I haven't played much with the board yet, so I can't advise you much. The shop has been crazy busy for last weeks.

Any of the JeeNode ports can be connected really and that will power the board. Connect the 3.3V and GND pins or the PWR and GND pins. If you use the PWR pins, then the power is going to run through the linear regulator on the JeeNode. This may have both good and bad effects.

The bad news is that it's going to rob some voltage from the supply - maybe as little as 10 mV depending on how much current is being drawn downstream.

The good new is that the linear regulator will also filter some of the switching noise on the line.

Jean-Claude is really exited about the end-to-end scheme - which means you can't use the diode on the USB line, which is no great loss, if you don't connect any voltages higher than 6 V to the power lines, probably nothing terrible will happen from connecting a battery straight to a BUB. (That was the diodes job - to prevent voltage mismatches with two power sources.)

You'll just have to try some arrangements and see what seems to make sense to you. For better or worse, the "swiss army knife" style seems to be built into JeeLabs products and there are a number of ways to use everything, because it's so modular.

Paul

sawmac

Re: jeelabs AA power board

Post by sawmac »

Thanks Paul

--dave