Same old, same old Connect problem.

Problems uploading, serial connections, BUBs, P4, FTDI cables, etc
librav

Same old, same old Connect problem.

Post by librav » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:03 pm

I have been using the Arduino Uno and Mega up to now, but this is my first RBBB. I had a Adafruit FTDI Friend in my goodie box so decided to use it. Loaded the driver and when I plug it into my PC USB jack (without the RBBB) the two led's flash twice and it shows up in the DeviceManager as USB Serial port (com3). I assume (as dangerous as that may be) that the driver is properly installed. When I unplug the FTDI Friend and add the RBBB and replug the two devices, the user added pin 13 LED blinks. When I push the reset button the pin 13 LED blinks once (which indicates the UNO bootloader is present) then proceeds to run the Blink program. However, When I try to upload (using Arduino IDE 0022; 0023; 1.0; 1.0.3 or 1.0.4) I get the error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00. I too have been reading a lot about it and have tried loads of scenarios without any luck. None of the FTDI Friend's tx/rx LED's blink while trying to program. With the RBBB connected is the DeviceManager's Ports suppose to show USB Serial port (com3) or Arduino Uno (com?)? Mine shows the prior. Thanks.

paul
Site Admin

Re: Same old, same old Connect problem.

Post by paul » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:25 pm

librav,

Does your COM port appear / dissapear when you plug / unplug the friend? That will confirm driver issues.

Latest drivers are here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Are you using UNO setting on Arduino? It could also be Duemialanove if it's an older board from somewhere - we switched Jan 2012.
10K resistor closest to the FTDI header?
5V showing up on the RBBB?

Turn on "verbose output on upload" in Preferences. It might provide some clues.

Write back with some more clues if you don't get it going and we'll proceed to the next step but it's all pretty simple.
On the hardware side - reheat all your solder joints. Check the direction of the diode, but you won't see 5V if you've got it backwards.

Paul

librav

Post by librav » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi Paul,
*The COM port does appear when I connect the Adafruit FRIEND (USB Serial Port (COM3)). Nothing about the Arduino UNO.
*I am using the Arduino UNO setting for the Board setting in the IDE.
* Friend's red and green LED's blink twice when connected to the PC, and the RBBB's green LED lights up indicating pwr to board.
* I'm using Arduino 0023 and 1.0.3. I could not find "verbose.......on upload" in the Arduino IDE>File>Preferences or in the Preferences.txt file.
Right now it is connected to the PC and the blink program is functioning. As I said, when I press the RBBB reset switch, the pin 13 blinking light goes off. When I release the switch, the led blinks once and then starts running the preloaded "Blink" program.
When I load the "Blink" program into the IDE and modify the blink on and off time to 100ms, it compiles but I get the "not in sync" error when uploading.
Incidentally, I tried a USB/FTDI board I bought from DealExtreme and a third I received from a friend, and they all present the "not in sync" error.
Thanks,

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:33 am

Hmm,

Can you send some email to sales at moderndevice dt com for confirmation of your order date. I'm wondering about swapping out some chips for yours.

Paul

librav

Post by librav » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi Paul,
I've complied....twice. What's next?

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:07 pm

Sorry I thought my shipping person would catch that - stand by - trained engineers are working on your problem.

Meanwhile I just remembered that the "Friend" uses RTS line for reset. Monitor the reset line with a multimeter and see if you see it toggle it all on upload?

Try this and report back:
If using the FTDI RS232RL cable check: Device Manager -> Com Ports -> USB Serial Port -> Port Settings -> Advanced button -> Set RTS On Close

Maybe you did it already. It hassn't come up recently since our boards now use DTR same as Arduino - I don't now why Lady Ada picked that signal line except maybe she wanted to match the FTDI cables - weird.

Paul

librav

Post by librav » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi Paul,
When monitoring Friends RTS pin to gnd, pin sits high. When uploading sketch, continues to sit high.
When I set 'RTS to close' , in device manager, Friends RTS pin sits low. When uploading sketch, sit high and goes low when sync error appears.
I hope that's what you asked.

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:50 pm

Do you have any other FTDI connect devices to try? But this setup works with other chips right? Also you mailed us your name and address right? I didn't see it , with cursory look through the sales at moderndevice ... email box. Maybe just send us the same message again. Put "forum issue" in the email subject line please.

We checked our chip burner and it seems to burn chips with proper settings fine. It's kind of a mystery so far. Send us back one of the errant chips for autopsy, so we can see if we can locate the issue.

Paul

JasonMoore

Post by JasonMoore » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:14 am

librav wrote:Hi Paul,
*The COM port does appear when I connect the Adafruit FRIEND (USB Serial Port (COM3)). Nothing about the Arduino UNO.
* Friend's red and green LED's blink twice when connected to the PC, and the RBBB's green LED lights up indicating pwr to board.
* I'm using Arduino 0023 and 1.0.3. I could not find "verbose.......on upload" in the Arduino IDE>File>Preferences or in the Preferences.txt file.
Right now it is connected to the PC and the blink program is functioning. As I said, when I press the RBBB reset switch, the pin 13 blinking light goes off. When I release the switch, the led blinks once and then starts running the preloaded "Blink" program.
When I load the "Blink" program into the IDE and modify the blink on and off time to 100ms, it compiles but I get the "not in sync" error when uploading.
Incidentally, I tried a USB/FTDI board I bought from DealExtreme and a third I received from a friend, and they all present the "not in sync" error.
Thanks,
hello friend I am facing similar connect problem.. Were you able to sort it out?Please reply thanks in advance:)

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:34 am

Jason,

That Arduino version is mighty old, time to update.

Unplug the friend from the BBB. Go the Tools -> Serial Port in the Ardunio IDE and see if you see the COM port for the Friend. If you don't see it then one of two or three things is going on.

You need to install drivers here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

You need to restart your computer. And see if things are fixed. Windows COM ports can become unavailable for a variety of reasons.

The Friend might be bad.

The cable might be bad - swap out with another to check.

I'm betting it's one of those things but there could be something I didn't think of.
When you get the new Arduino installed go to preferences and turn on "verbose on upload" checkbox.

Report back and I'll try to help you sort it out.

Paul

jenifferhomes

Post by jenifferhomes » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:59 am

Are you using UNO setting on Arduino? It could also be Duemialanove if it's an older board from somewhere - we switched Jan 2012.
10K resistor closest to the FTDI header?
5V showing up on the RBBB?The COM port does appear when I connect the Adafruit FRIEND (USB Serial Port (COM3)). Nothing about the Arduino UNO.