RBBB & Bub connection problems

Problems uploading, serial connections, BUBs, P4, FTDI cables, etc
cdm

RBBB & Bub connection problems

Post by cdm » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Just got a RBBB and BUB using standard USB cable that came with it. No remapping or other stuff over my head. First attempt to upload test program (Blink) brought back dreaded no-sync error. I went through the entire check list (set the correct port, made sure the FTDI is on that port, etc.). Still no go... no sync.

I used the FTDI "clean" utility from their website to remove the FTDI drivers completely. Then I downloaded the latest driver for XP (CDM 2.06.00 WHQL Certified), plugged in the RBBB and BUB and went through the setup wizard procedures for the FTDI and the port. Got the message that device is installed and ready to use. And...no go...no sync.

First thing to suspect of course is the BUB. But just for grins I took the processor chip from my 6 month old Duemilanove which has worked flawlesly and put it in the RBBB and...everything worked fine. I have uploaded and tested several sketches no problem. But, now the problem has seemingly followed the chip that came with the RBBB to the Duemilanove. No matter what I do, reload drivers, etc., I get the no sync error. The lights flash for a short time as if some effort is being made to upload but then it just stops and returns the error message. I do not know what to suspect now except the microprocessor. If the micro is bad why does it return a no sync error? Is it possible there is no bootloader on the micro?

Would like to understand this a little better before I mail the chip back for testing in case I am doing something boneheaded with the communications setup.

Thanks.

paul
Site Admin

Re: RBBB & Bub connection problems

Post by paul » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:53 pm

cdm,

Here's another checklist that you should try.

Confirm 168 or 328 on chip and set Arduino IDE appropriately.
Check insertion
Check to make sure chip is oriented correctly, seated firmly, and all pins are in the socket
Reheat all solder joints on the header end of the board
Check power on the board, and on chip's power pins
GND 8, 22
+5 20, 7

Use a multimeter to see if you can see pulses on the RESET line (faint) and RX (obvious) line during upload

If you're using Windows with and FTDI cable, instead of a BUB, you'll need to do the "Set RTS on close" fix

It's unlikely that the RBBB did anything to the other chip, even if you inserted it backwards, but I suppose that is one possibility.

Try those things and let us know if you don't find the problem. If you do find the problem I'd appreciate it if you could post the problem here - just to help and encourage others in the debug process.

Paul

cdm

Post by cdm » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:19 am

Paul:
Here's the scoop;

Test 1 - this test done with the chip from my Arduino installed in the RBBB.
RBBB findings;

Reconfirmed that the port and board settings are correct in Arduino. Board is set on 168, Duemilanove, etc.
Pin-by-pin inspection shows clean insertion.
Chip oriantation is per the photo's in the on- line instructions. All pins are in place firmly.
Reheated the pins on the header.
Power pins on the chip (8 & 22 GND and 7 & 20 +5) are correct.
RESET and RX lines both pulse or jump during upload. It was very obvious for both.
I then uploaded a couple of sketches to confirm proper operation...no problem.

End test 1.

Test 2 - Installed the chip that came with the RBBB back into the RBBB and put the original Arduino chip back in the Duemilanove. Uploaded several sketches to the Duemilanove to confirm proper operation. No problems.

Reconfirmed all of the above and everything is normal up to the power test
The RESET and RX tests fail. There is no visible pulse on these pins during upload.
End test 2.

Test 3. Put the chip that came with the RBBB kit back in the Duemilanove and made the same readings for voltage on power pins and RESET and RX. Voltages are normal but again, no pulse on RESET and/or RX.
I am using the USB cable that was supplied with the kit.
I am certain that at no time did I insert any of the chips backwards.

So, it appears that the RBBB and BUB are working fine and that this particular 168 chip is doing something weird since it cripples what ever board it's plugged into.

I am happy to keep testing or if you like I can mail the assembly to you for analysis.

Thanks

Carl

bperrybap

Post by bperrybap » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:41 am

cdm wrote:
So, it appears that the RBBB and BUB are working fine and that this particular 168 chip is doing something weird since it cripples what ever board it's plugged into.
Doesn't the RBBB come with a 328p ?

328p uses a different baud rate than 168.

--- bill

cdm

Post by cdm » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:42 am

Total and complete operator headspace on my part. Sorry to cause a fuss. It is a 328 and when I set the uploader to 328, guess what, everything works just fine. Well, now that everything is working guess I will move on to the project I got this board for and see what I can screw up there! But, it's still fun.

Thanks Paul and Bill.

Carl

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:13 am

No problem cdm,

We're here to help :)

pb