I hope I've just done something stupid

Questions and Discussion concerning the Bare Bones Board
thedavidfactor

I hope I've just done something stupid

Post by thedavidfactor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:40 pm

I purchased an assembled and tested BBB ('cause I'm lazy, well actually 'cause I wanted to start playing as soon as it arrived). I've got a couple of LEDs and resistors and a breadboard. My Arduino software is running on a Laptop running Fedora 14 and I'm using a FTDI cable. I decided to start with the blink sketch (why not, right? ;) ) and my LED didn't blink. So I added a second LED to pin 12 and started experimenting. It seems like the 328 is locking up after about +/- 500 milliseconds. I'm running the following code:

Code: Select all

void setup() {
  pinMode(12, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  for(int i=1; i<10; i++) {
    digitalWrite(12, HIGH);
    delay(100);
    digitalWrite(12, LOW);
    delay(100);
    digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
    delay(100);
    digitalWrite(13, LOW);
    delay(100);
    digitalWrite(12, HIGH);
    delay(100);
    digitalWrite(12, LOW);
    delay(100);
  }
}
I added the for loop because I thought maybe the void loop wasn't getting called repeatedly, anyway I get one blink of each LED and then pin 12 stays high and it stops blinking, if I play with the delay I can get it to stop at different points in the code, but I can't decrease the delay much below 100 and still see it.

Is there anything I can do to make sure I haven't done something stupid? The code uploads without any errors, if I reset the BBB I get the same behavior, I don't know what else to try, I've searched this forum and the arduino forum and haven't found any similar issues.

floresta

Re: I hope I've just done something stupid

Post by floresta » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:00 am

Try increasing the delay to 1000 and I think everything will look OK. Right now your LED is switching every 100 mS (1/10 sec) so to your eye it always appears 'on'. If you compare what you see to an LED that is actually on all the time yours will actually appear dimmer.

Don

thedavidfactor

Post by thedavidfactor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:05 am

if I increase the delay to 1000 milliseconds it just freezes with one on and one off. Right now it does as I describe, a very quick flicker between the two and then one stays on. If it was too short a delay, they both would appear to be "on". The "freeze" at 1000 milliseconds is what lead me to start experimenting with shorter delays to find a time period which would work.

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:20 am

thedavidfactor,

I'm baffled by the behavior (works with short delays but not long).

Are you using Duemianove setting in boards menu?
Try switching pins and report back behavior.

Paul