3x7 header n00b questions

Questions and Discussion concerning the Bare Bones Board
strathmeyer

3x7 header n00b questions

Post by strathmeyer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi! I'm new to soldering, and after having fun with an Arduino Uno, I've purchased a BBB kit. I have a couple of questions, both of which relate to the 3x7 female header block...

First, any suggestions on soldering the 3x7 header? I'm concerned about reaching the middle row of pins. Do I try to get the solder to slide down the pins?

Second, when the BBB is inserted into a breadboard (a la http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0038/9 ... grande.jpg), do the pins from the bottom side of the 3x7 header go into the breadboard? Originally I was confused about why we were giving pins A3 and A4 a negative and positive charge, but now I'm thinking that the pins don't extend far enough.

Thanks for your time! :geek:

floresta

Re: 3x7 header n00b questions

Post by floresta » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:49 pm

First, any suggestions on soldering the 3x7 header? I'm concerned about reaching the middle row of pins. Do I try to get the solder to slide down the pins?
Here's what I would do:
(1) Insert the header and solder two diagonally opposite pins. Make sure the header is where you want it (usually flush with the PC board).
(2) Solder the rest of the pins in the outside column (GND) and cut off the excess.
(3) Solder the pins in the middle column (+5V) and cut off the excess.
(4) Solder the rest of the pins in the inside column (A0 - AR) and cut off the excess.
Second, when the BBB is inserted into a breadboard (a la http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0038/9 ... grande.jpg), do the pins from the bottom side of the 3x7 header go into the breadboard?
Normally no. As you can see above, we cut off the excess so these pins will not go into the breadboard. I suppose you could leave the A0 row long in which case they would fit the breadboard.
Originally I was confused about why we were giving pins A3 and A4 a negative and positive charge...
If you left the pins in those two rows long you would wind up shorting your power rails (twice). Leaving any of the other pins long would prevent the BBB from seating in the breadboard.

Don

strathmeyer

Re: 3x7 header n00b questions

Post by strathmeyer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Great idea! I hadn't considered clipping one row before all the rest are completely soldered.

Thanks!