usb bub setup and software

Making your program work.
repco

usb bub setup and software

Post by repco »

I just purchased the USB BUB and want to use it to connect to a stand alone AVR project to get reports and send instructions. I have been using the at90s2313, but have migrated it to attiny2313.

1) what drivers or software is needed to use the BUB with windows? I've downloaded VOC and D2XX from FTDI, but this wasn't clear in the instructions . I had previously investigated the FTDI chip so had an idea this was needed.
2) can i set the baud rate of the BUB?
3) can i control the syncronous mode?
4) with just the TX and RX lines being used which is the best mode to use?
5) will i need to use the DTR line?

rep

oz
Site Admin

Re: usb bub setup and software

Post by oz »

Hi Repco,

I just purchased the USB BUB and want to use it to connect to a stand alone AVR project to get reports and send instructions. I have been using the at90s2313, but have migrated it to attiny2313.
1) what drivers or software is needed to use the BUB with windows? I've downloaded VOC and D2XX from FTDI, but this wasn't clear in the instructions . I had previously investigated the FTDI chip so had an idea this was needed.
You want the VCP (virstual com port) drivers at ftdichip.com
2) can i set the baud rate of the BUB?
No, you do this on the PC side in serial port settings and on the uC side in your code. The BUB will just pass through the signals that it gets from the end clients.
3) can i control the synchronous mode?
There is utility on the FTDI site - something like "MPROG" (may not have that exactly right) that can be used to control a number of paramters about the way the FTDI chip handles data
4) with just the TX and RX lines being used which is the best mode to use?
default settings will work fine
5) will i need to use the DTR line?
Not if you are just sending and receiving data, it's use is to reset chips when using a bootloader

Hope that helps,
Paul

repco

Post by repco »

that looks good. thanks!
rep

repco

Post by repco »

Paul,

Thanks for your previous response. I would like to go deeper.

I have been using AVR studio to compile asm and C code.

BUB offers me the ability to program without needing my STK500.

I can take arduino hex files and load them via ISP and STK. But can not load studio 4 hex files via BUB and arduino. I would like to use the BUB to program via bootloader instead of the STK ISP.

Is there a programing interface/software that would help me do that? avrdude? ?

rep

oz
Site Admin

Post by oz »

You do need a bootloader of some kind and some kind of software to communicate with it through serial. It's not quite as clean or simple as the ISP upload process. The good news is that you have access to the serial port for debugging though, since the Atmega328 doesn't support JTAG. But you could get a Sanguino if you want to use the same platform (basically) and want JTAG.

The Arduino bootloader is easy to use and AVRdude is what Arduino IDE uses (under the hood) to communicate with the bootloader, so it will definitely work.

Check the build process on this page http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/HomePage for how the Arduino guys do it, and just emulate the process.

Paul

repco

Post by repco »

When using AVRdude do you know how the 328 is defined, or should i say which chip is it defined as?

The bootloader is it 328 or 168?

rep

floresta

Post by floresta »

rep:

You may be able to get your answers by using the technique mentioned here:
and here:
Don

oz
Site Admin